Monday, July 16, 2012

I made a cake

 So if you know me at all you are probably aware of the fact that I am not a crafty person. In all actuality I really don't like doing anything crafty. I don't scrapbook, I hate making cards, and when I am crafting it is never longer than 3 minutes before I throw up my hands and exclaim, "This is so boring!."

But what I do love to do is bake, or cook. I love finding a great recipe and making something just delicious to eat. So I guess in a way that is where my "craftiness" can come out. I am in no way an experienced chef/cook/baker. I am just starting to dabble really in all of it, but I do know that I enjoy it.

Well, a couple of weeks ago I saw a recipe for making a cake that when cut, looks like an American flag. It is a Betty Crocker recipe. Right when I saw it I knew I wanted to try to make it. This was going to be a challenge because I haven't made a lot of cakes before and I have never made a layered cake.  But I was determined.

First I made all of the different layers. I started with the "red" layer. I put fresh strawberries in this layer, and it tasted very good. Next I made the blue layer, which had fresh blueberries in it. (This layer was Nate's favorite.) Finally the white layer, which was just white cake nothing to special.
 After all the cake layers were cooled and ready to go I started to assemble the cake. First I cut the red an white layers in half. Next, I put a red layer down first, then frosted it. Then a white layer, then frosted that as well. Then another red, and yes frosting, and then the blue layer.

In the blue layer you cut a hole in the center of that layer and remove that portion of the blue. Then inside the blue layer you add another white and red layer of cake, so that when you cut it it has the look of the American flag. I must say I was really glad that the cake was still looking like a cake.  I didn't have anything fall apart on me, and for the most par the frosting was spreading well.

Finally when all of the layers were put together I frosted the cake. For this first attempt at a layered cake I did not make my own frosting. I felt like I needed to find a really good frosting recipe first, and I just didn't for this cake so I just bought the frosting. A little lame, but it still tasted great.

My sister Andrea let me borrow her cake tools to help me frost the cake. I made sure to frost very very slowly. I just knew that I would rip the cake to shreds if I try to go to fast. But with a little bit of luck I actually ended up frosting the cake with it looking fairly normal. 

I did it! I made a layered cake. I added some sprinkles at the end, and waited to share it with my family. I was joking with Tara, my sister, and told her even if the cake was disgusting she still had to pretend that it was amazing. She did a great job acting like this cake was the most amazing thing she had ever put in her mouth. Even if it wasn't.

So there you have it, my first cake adventure. I am hoping that I will have some other great "crafty" food adventures to share. In the end I really had a great time making this cake, and every told me that they actually liked it. At least it was edible. 
My nephew Cooper enjoying the cake. It was a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment